Friday, July 30, 2010

Are there more ways to validate yourself than through relationships or by work?

There are two sources of self-esteem, internal and external. I believe that your INTERNAL self-esteem comes from one of two sources: relationships and your work. Please understand, I do NOT mean the pat on the back. That's external. I don't mean the awards. External. I don't mean ';lots of money';. Again, that's external or it's a means of measuring your work. I mean that sense of pride that you feel inside. The pride that does NOT say, ';they like me'; nor ';they like my work.';





So besides the two ways that I know:


The quantity and quality of your relationships


and


The quality of your work.





can you think of any more ways for people to receive their internally derived self esteem? Where does that sense of pride come from in you? And please examine yourself and your answer. Can your answer NOT fall into one of these two categories? Be prepared to defend yourself and check back. I will probably respond.





Beware. Read and understand the question completely, or I will delete it.Are there more ways to validate yourself than through relationships or by work?
Your self esteem should come from you and you alone. You are looking to validate yourself based on the work you perform/the career that you are in or the friends that you have? I'm afraid you have a very skewed idea as to how to validate your own worth. It would be like going out and buying a luxury car like a BMW or a Mercedes Benz to validate your own worth to yourself. The only way to ';validate' yourself is to be happy with the person that you have become or are in the process of becoming. Nothing else, people or material things, can do this for you I'm afraid. It is you that yourself has to be proud of...Are there more ways to validate yourself than through relationships or by work?
You people completely missed the point of this question.

Report Abuse



Setting personal goals and accomplishing them works for me. Big or small and ones set just for myself. Some that have made me feel good and valuable to myself have been: exercising regularly until I could do 200 crunches and 30 pushups in one sitting, after having a baby, this one was great for me. Internal validation comes from liking who you are, and living your life in a way that you would be proud to tell your grandkids about.
Boring.
';Ways to validate yourself than through relationships or by work? '; seems to be the issue here. A deep sense of 'inner strength' is developed in oneself from ones own family circle and experience. This quality is 'top-up' and eventually bring one to grow in maturity through education from childhood to adulthood. This inner strength that each one of us has acquired from small ought to be taken care of by ourself through self improvement in varied ways and at the same time to guard ourself from the risk of being swallowed up by conformity to people and seemingly 'pleasing everyone'. The inner strength within the person, ought to exude from his/her personality, which tells of the authenticity of his/being. And, wherever this person goes or does this authenticity or quality of self, life and work will automatically be manifested to people and the surroundings. So, to be natural is the best! No need to live in pretense. Life would be happier then.
I agree.





I note, however, that work comprises more than just employment. Answering yahoo questions and finishing quality school assignments does it for me too.





The term ';relationship'; should apply to friendships too. I boost my self-esteem with general social interaction, not just romantic relationships


.


And also, weed.
Self esteem comes from within not from material possessions or friends.





Quit being such a shallow loser and grow up and be a real man!
YES JUST ALWAYS ';BE YOURSELF'; ( try not to care what other people think or expect of you ...that's my biggest problem ) and with everything you try to do.... always give 100% that way you know you've done your best no matter what situation : )
Beware my ****... what is that about?


I was gonna answer til I read that- now go do your own homework...or BEWARE!
find something beautiful in yourself everyday. even if it's repetitve. unconciously you'll feel good about yourself coz you know you have something they don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment